Arthington Nunnery Farm
|N06 & C319
Top: Located on Arthington Lane, it is thought the Nunnery was founded by Peter
De Arthington circa 1150.
Only about 10 nuns lived there, when the Monasteries
were dissolved ( 1536-1541 by Henry V111) the prioress received a pension of
£35, the other 9 nuns were allotted small sums.
The Nunnery became a private
dwelling with farmland, Thomas Briggs and his wife were early owners, an
inscription on the building is thought to refer to them "TB 1585 IB"
In the 20th century restoration work was carried out by architects
Chorley, Gribbon and Foggitt of 3 Park Place, Leeds
Bottom: Situated on Arthington Lane, this house was built on the site of
Arthington Priory in the early 1600s.
It is a 3 storey building with mullioned
The Priory was occupied by nuns of the Cluniac Order, at the time of
the Dissolution of the Monasteries 9 nuns were in residence, it was surrendered
By 1822 it was a farmhouse owned by the Earl of Harewood.
Post a Comment
Please login to post a comment.